First Church of the Nazarene of Gainesville, Ga was organized on January 6, 1946, by District Superintendent Bill Davis, with fourteen charter members. Rev. Hugh Mincey was the first pastor of the church, and the meeting for organization was held in his home in Chicopee at 3:00 in the afternoon. The church was named Chicopee Church of the Nazarene. The first church building was a house across the bridge on Atlanta Highway, north of Chicopee, purchased for around $2,000. This building served as the worship and education center for the church until the spring of 1956.
In the fall of 1955, under the pastoral leadership of Rev. Fletcher Digby, property was purchased and construction begun at 953 Washington Street. The first services were held in the basement of the new building in the spring of 1956, but services were not held upstairs until December 22, 1957. On January 26, 1958, the new building was dedicated by District Superintendent Mack Anderson. Rev. Paul Barnes was the pastor. At that time the name of the church was changed to Gainesville First Church of the Nazarene.
Under the leadership of Rev. Thomas E. Rash, the current nine-acre campus on Otlia Drive, just off of Highway 53, was purchased in 1991. A beautiful brick structure that can accommodate up to 300 worshipers in the sanctuary and 150 people in the Christian Education rooms was dedicated on June 27, 1993. Future plans include the expansion of ministerial and support staff, along with construction of the W. E. McCumber Outreach Center, a multi purpose building for ministry and recreation.